Saturday, August 28, 2010

I Survived my first week in 3rd grade!

I can't believe that summer is already over and I have finished my first week of school! I am always sooooo sad to see summer go, but happy to get back into a routine. They say the more time you have the less you get done and I find that to be very true when I am home all summer!

I spent the last week of my summer moving classrooms and getting my new one decorated and ready to go for the First Day of School. Every 3rd grade classroom has a "Space" theme so it was fun finding things to go along with that. I haven't taken any pictures, but will and post them soon!

Everyone has been asking me how I like 3rd grade compared to Kindergarten and I have to say that I think this might be the best move I have ever made! When I came home from teaching Kinder I was physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted everyday! In the five days that I have taught 3rd I haven't come home one day feeling like I did in Kinder. I'll be honest when 3:45 rolled around in Kinder I was out the door and ready to be home and laying on the couch, but this first week I have stayed at school till 4:30 or 5:00 everyday and it hasn't once bothered me! I think the main stress will be that I am teaching Math and Science to my homeroom and the Bilingual class and I am worried that the Bilingual class will struggle because of the language barrier. We started with Place Value in Math this week and most of my class is grasping it but less than half of the Bilingual are. The other 3rd grade teachers assure me that this is one of the hardest concepts and that rarely any of them grasp it until January! YIKES! I hate moving on from something when they don't fully understand it!

Hopefully the second week will go as well as the first and we aren't just experiencing the "honeymoon period" as most teachers call it!

Stay tuned.......

No comments:

Post a Comment